WINNIPEG — It’s a special two-decade anniversary for the Winnipeg Comedy Festival as the annual event marks 20 years.
The Burton Cummings Theatre will play host to the hilarity of performers from October 5-10 in front of live audiences.
“We were unable to hold our regular spring festival this year,” says executive director Nick Kowalchuk. “The thought of a 20th year without a festival was something we didn’t want to contemplate. We’re thrilled the fall presents an opportunity for us to welcome audiences back into our venues, and we’re set to celebrate with a really stellar lineup of performers.”
Thirty of Canada’s hottest stand-up comedians will perform over the span of three days (October 7-9) for five gala shows being taped for CBC.
What to expect
- Priyanka, the winner of “Canada’s Drag Race” season one, will host “You Do You,” a gala celebrating individuality.
- Baroness Von Sketch Show star, Aurora Browne, joins her husband Kris Siddiqi to host “Love Languages,” a light-hearted look at relationships.
- “Workin’ Moms” star, Ryan Belleville, hosts a show about all the ways we manage stress called “Creature Comforts.”
- Aba Amuquandoh from the long-running hit show “This Hour Has 22 Minutes,” hosts “Home Moaners,” a hilarious exploration of homeownership.
- Aisha Brown, star of the Crave TV special, “The First Black Woman Ever,” hosts “Truth to Power,” a show for anyone who’s ever felt like they’re a David in a world of Goliaths.
Gala tickets normally cost $35, but are being sold at a special anniversary price of $20.
“Winnipeg comedy fans are the best comedy fans in the country,” says artistic director Dean Jenkinson. “We wouldn’t be here without them, and this is a small way to give them a huge thank you for two decades of support.”
Comedy fans will also be treated to shows at the Gas Station Arts Centre:
- CBC Radio’s hit show, The Debaters returns to Winnipeg for the first time since 2018, with four live tapings at the GSAC October 6-9.
- The Tim Gray Talk Show (October 5) with Winnipeg comic Tim Gray, and Battle Royale (October 9), a competition between teams of comedians, with host Mike Green, a long-time Winnipeg performer and show producer.
- The Dark & Dirty Show on Saturday, October 9 is a show with no boundaries that pushes the threshold in every way.
- Best of Fest on Sunday, October 10 is an unforgettable highlight reel of celebrity guests and comedy all-stars from this year’s festival.
Patrons will be asked to show proof of double vaccination and seating will be limited to 50% capacity.
Tickets for performances at the Gas Station Arts Centre are $15 with in-person and online ticket options available.